Welcome to our CHAOS! We do LOUD REALLY WELL (except Dad!) & make CRAZY LOOK GOOD!

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Happy May Day!

Ok, so I'm a few days late posting this blog because May Day is May 1st---oh well! 
 
When I was growing up my mom always had us make May Day Baskets and deliver them, filled with flowers from our yard (and a few from our neighbors!) to our friends. I especially remember picking the lilacs from our backyard---their smell is still one of my favorites---so much so that we included lilacs from that very lilac tree in my wedding bouquet.  Mom and I picked them together (I think Dan even helped!) on the morning of our wedding day and made a bouquet filled with love and memories. I get so many comments on that bouquet because it's so unique and beautiful!  It's funny the things that make us tear up and smile when we think of those simple little traditions and expressions of love that our Mom's did for us growing up.  
 
Every May 1st I remember making May Day baskets and this year I finally decided to do it myself!  We made one for each of the kids and they got to choose who to give it to....Liam couldn't think of who to share it with and so I suggested....ME! :)  I've just always wanted my own May Day Basket!!!
 
I love this time of year...flowers are one of my favorite things and a true expression of love...the simplicity of the gift, their heavenly fragrance, but also the awe of their beauty and God's creations all remind me of love! I also love this time of year because May Day, our anniversary, Mother's Day & Chuck's birthday are all within a 2 week time frame.  I've always felt a little "cheated" because it's all so close together (and sometimes our anniversary is ON Mother's Day!) but I realized today that all the things that mean the most to me and are my "treasures & blessings" are celebrated in that 2 week span so from now on, these 2 weeks are going to be my favorite 2 weeks of the year!!! HAPPY ME! :):):)

9 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for the e-card! It was cute.

Celeste said...

cute pictures...I love that tradition (and all the traditions) that your family did and continues to do. Thanks for the e-card too, I had forgotten it was May Day and it lifted my spirits!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my, I didn't know about this flower May day thing until my mom said Grandma and Grandpa Davie always gave them flowers on May Day. You are a great mom!!!

Amy Lee said...

What a cute idea. I have never heard of it even though you were raised with that tradition. I will try to remember that one for next May.

Anonymous said...

What a fun tradition! Love it. I had never heard of it before...but I just may need to impliment it. I love the smell of lilacs, too. They remind me of being at my grandma's house and sitting under the huge lilac bush. Fun times and good memories.

Douglas, Anita, Gracie, & Marley said...

I've been thinking of you guys. I hope you had a great Anniversary and I loved this post. I loved making May day baskets! We love you and cant wait to see you!

robbin said...

I love may day! it was day scott and i got engaged! we are going to make mayday baskets next year how cute! hope you all are doing well!

easywriter said...

I remember getting May day baskets from you. Back in the day.... I am so glad you are keeping that tradition.

easywriter said...

I remember getting May day baskets from you. Back in the day.... I am so glad you are keeping that tradition.